From 1 July 2016, all student visa applications must be made online. Here’s some information to assist with preparing your application.
- Use the Document Checklist Tool on our website to see what types of documents you will need to provide with your application.
- Make sure you have access to a scanner as you will need to provide certified copies of documents. There is information available to help you prepare your application.
- We encourage you to complete your health examinations before lodging your visa application using My Health Declarations. You will need a current passport and must know which visa subclass you are applying for (Student 500 or Student Guardian 590). If you complete your health examinations after you have lodged your application, you could delay the processing of your application.
- Once you have started your application you can save it at any time. You don’t have to complete your application in one sitting.
- Evidence of enrolment:
- If you are outside Australia, you must include your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) number in your visa application (unless you are a secondary exchange student or a foreign affairs or defence sponsored student).
- If you are applying in Australia you can include details of a CoE or attach a letter of offer. If you provide details of a CoE in your application, you must not attach or provide details of a Letter of Offer for the same course. Note: Only select ‘Yes’ to the question ‘Other evidence of intended study’ if you do not have a CoE.
- Make sure you know the details of your health insurance before you start your application – even if your provider has arranged this for you. You will need to enter the start and end date of your policy. Your policy must have started by the time you intend to arrive in Australia, generally at least a week before your course commencement date. If your policy starts on the same day as your course commences, we will ask you to obtain extra cover that starts when you intend to arrive in Australia. If you enter Australia without Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), you will be in breach of your visa conditions. Your OSHC should finish when you want to leave Australia. A visa won’t be granted for longer than your OSHC.
- Prepare a statement about why you want to study in Australia, in English, at Genuine Temporary Entrant. There is a maximum limit of 2000 words but the statement does not need to be this long.
- You might consider telling us about:
- why you have chosen your course and provider
- if the qualification you gain will help you find employment or improve your salary outside of Australia
- your incentives to return home, including ties to your home country
- any gaps in study or work history.
- You can also attach evidence to support your statement with your application, including evidence of employment or qualifications.
- Before lodging your application, make sure all questions are complete and any relevant documents that are included in the checklist are attached. Incomplete applications may result in delays or visa refusal. If you need to provide additional documents after lodging your application, do this through ImmiAccount. Do not email or courier documents to the Department as this may delay processing of your application.
Tips to avoid common mistakes in the application form
- Read the help text in the visa application form.
- Only select ‘Yes’ to the question ‘Is the applicant applying for this visa due to the closure of their education provider?’ if your education provider in Australia has closed or is in default due to a sanction imposed on them. You will have been notified if your provider is in default.
- Only select ‘Yes’ to the question ‘Is the applicant receiving partial or full funding under a training scheme approved by the Commonwealth Government of Australia’ if you have been advised by your provider that you are sponsored by the Commonwealth.
- Answer the questions about your citizenship and passport carefully to make sure correct information has been provided, otherwise your application could be delayed.
Remember to lodge your application as soon as you can. Complete applications are more likely to be processed quicker. While we aim to process most applications within one month, some applications will take longer. If you have to contact the Department about your application please use our student visa enquiry form.
Feel free to contact Best Migration Services to help you with your student visa.